Friday, April 11, 2008

A Week in the Abyss

My house needs vacuuming but the very thought sends shoots of pain down my right leg.
It's not that I'm that against vacuuming, it's just I've spent the last week avoiding anything that would send shoots of pain down my right leg.

Turns out, in my strangely non-active life, a disc in my lower back just popped out. Pop! And when it did that, it turned around and pinched my sciatic nerve. That nerve then runs all the way down my right leg full of pain.

It's like the medical version of mousetrap without all those little cardboard pieces of cheese floating around.

I've had a few highlights in my week of pain:
1. Not having to go to work. This would be tricky since I can stand for no longer than 10 minutes before the pain hits. Granted sitting isn't much better...
2. Krys came over and we had dinner and drinks and it was fabulous. First, there were tornadoes that threatened to cancel our events. Krys asked and I said "Screw tornadoes- we're texans, we can handle these." Thankfully they never showed up in Denton, and we decided to head south and eat at.... On the Border. We have realized that we can order a pitcher of margaritas which are cheaper than individual margaritas. That's how we roll- we pinch penny's and drink margaritas.
3. I redid my resume yet again. Like I said to others, my resume has gone through more face lifts than Joan Rivers. I'm happy with it for now. So it's getting sent out to the masses.
4. I'm still thinking about grad school and this week has provided plenty of thinking time.
5. I finally cooked that frozen pizza I've had in my fridge for months. It was pesto, goat cheese and tomatoes. mmmm.

yeah that's about it.
Oh! Yesterday a water pipe exploded from beneath the middle of the road. This happened about 15 feet from my front door. The water was literally shooting up about 20 feet in the air, and there was a pretty rainbow going through the middle- so I wasn't worried about the Earth being flooded. It went on for over an hour so I went and got a sno-cone. Raspberry margarita.

So 6 good things have happened to me this week. Unless you count my Vicodin in which case the number rises to 7.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps the bump on the head from the trunk lid spread SLOWLY down you body and attacked the lower back and enroute flared up the sciatic nerve creating a knot of nerve fibers in the muscles on which you sit, hence creating even more pain going down the leg. Its all the fault of the car trunk lid, or as the Britsh sensibly call it the "boot lid".

Last night while dining with 11 teenagers, a computer guru and a football coach, I saw a tray of margaritas go past in my peripheral vision, and muttering to myself I said "Oh margaritas...." A student next to me asked if she had heard correctly? I admitted, that alas,she did. She laughed - she never thought of teachers as being "real people" and yearning for margaritas. The ever so sad life of being a UIL coach in charge of underage teens on a school trip. Alcohol not permitted.

Sam said...

I think you should count each Vicodin pill as its own individual good thing. 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12...